In this tutorial BANKEX will tell you how to be secured online.
1. Computer remote control —
one of the most widespread methods used by criminal groups to manage botnets.
Signs of illegitimate remote control:
- Arbitrary system actions (the appearance/disappearance/execution of files, processes etc.);
- Illegitimate connections by processes;
- Timely software updates;
- Careful handling of e-mail attachments;
- Secure passwords;
- Whitelists and firewall rules;
- Connection monitoring;
- Connection node creation
2. Phishing and Spam —
a social engineering technique used by attackers aiming to receive the users’ personal data.
Phishing attacks can provide an attacker with access to the following personal data:
- Credentials for any electronic service (electronic wallets, mailboxes, payment services, social network and other accounts etc.);
- Personal data to be further used in other types of attacks;
Methods used by attackers:
- Personal e-mails (can have a particularly powerful psychological effect on a person);
- Bulk spam mail (a widespread, cheap technology that can reach a large target audience);
- Any online resources (efficiency stems from the carelessness of the visitors of web resources).
How to recognize phishing?
- Use of brands and well-known trademarks with a slight difference from the original;
- Similar links and copycat sites (use of similar interfaces or addresses);
- Incorrect domain name of the mail server or mailbox name of the sender.
- Careful handling of attachments and links in e-mails;
- Scanning downloadable files and resources with VirusTotal;
- Checking connection security.
8. Secure password creation rules
|Convenient and familiar||Can be found in a dictionary|
|«*?4U(!»||The computer’s favourite password||6 symbols →«Brute force»|
over the rainbow»
|26 symbols, spaces and special characters||—|
It is also recommended to create and store passwords in a secure password manager such as KeePass.